William S. Lang

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

William S. Lang

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:38 pm

An individual is selling these medals, I thought that I'd try to see who William S. Lang was, what his role was, who his relatives might be. As it turns out the seller is not interested in Lang's history, or relatives, but I'm still curious.
Attachments
William S Lang - Medals.jpg
William S Lang - Medals.jpg (123.28 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

BFBSM
Meritorious
Meritorious

Re: William S. Lang

Post by BFBSM » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 pm

I have found a William Stuart Lang (1899-1984), served with the RCAN. I don’t have any further at the moment.

Phil
Founder
Founder

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:05 pm

I found this article,

https://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/20 ... the-cracks
I could talk about how my great uncle, Sapper Arthur Lang, helped build Camp Ipperwash, or how my great uncle, Private Bill Lang, lied about his age during the Second World War, made it all the way to France before my great grandma Flossie found out and demanded they send him back.
If he lied, went to France and came back would he still be awarded the CVSM and War Medal? This article is from St. Thomas which is near to the region the seller mentioned he purchased the medals in, Waterloo, some 30 years ago.

Update: I reached out the the author of the article. The Bill Lang she referred to was one Bill Charles Lang, so not the recipient of these particular medals.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 am

Phil wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:38 pm
An individual is selling these medals, I thought that I'd try to see who William S. Lang was, what his role was, who his relatives might be. As it turns out the seller is not interested in Lang's history, or relatives, but I'm still curious.
Just a quick note Phil.......the CVSM in this set does NOT have a “bar”, which would mean the recipient did NOT serve outside of Canada (unless, whomever mounted the medals did not include the bar). This clue may help find the right man.

Notes on Bar’s to the CVSM

A silver bar (often called a clasp), a maple leaf at its centre, was awarded for 60 days service outside Canada. A silver maple leaf is worn on the ribbon in undress.

Source: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... details/21
These users commended the author Temujin for the post:
Phil (Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 am)