They Shall Not Grow Old - In Cinemas 16 October 2018

Discussions regarding anything and everything related to Canada's military contributions.
Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

They Shall Not Grow Old - In Cinemas 16 October 2018

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:04 am

Looks impressive.

https://youtu.be/D6Do1p1CWyc
On the centenary of the end of First World War, Academy Award-winner Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) presents the World Premiere of an extraordinary new work showing the Great War as you have never seen it.

This unique film brings into high definition the human face of the First World War as part of a special London Film Festival presentation alongside a live Q&A with director Peter Jackson hosted by Mark Kermode.

Using state of the art technology to restore original archival footage which is more than a 100-years old, Jackson brings to life the people who can best tell this story: the men who were there. Driven by a personal interest in the First World War, Jackson set out to bring to life the day-to-day experience of its soldiers. After months immersed in the BBC and Imperial War Museums’ archives, narratives and strategies on how to tell this story began to emerge for Jackson. Using the voices of the men involved, the film explores the reality of war on the front line; their attitudes to the conflict; how they ate; slept and formed friendships, as well what their lives were like away from the trenches during their periods of downtime.

Jackson and his team have used cutting edge techniques to make the images of a hundred years ago appear as if they were shot yesterday. The transformation from black and white footage to colourised footage can be seen throughout the film revealing never before seen details. Reaching into the mists of time, Jackson aims to give these men voices, investigate the hopes and fears of the veterans, the humility and humanity that represented a generation changed forever by a global war.

The film can be seen in both 2D and 3D in selected cinemas. Check your local listing for full details.

Co-commissioned by 14-18 NOW and Imperial War Museums in association with the BBC. Produced by WingNut Films and Executive Produced by House Productions. Special thanks to Matthew & Sian Westerman with additional support from The Taylor Family Foundation, The Moondance Foundation, Welsh Government, Scottish Government, British Council, Tim Bunting, Jacqueline & Richard Worswick and one anonymous donor.

Music credit: Elgar’s Nimrod from The Enigma Varations
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: They Shall Not Grow Old - In Cinemas 16 October 2018

Post by Temujin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 pm

This looks fantastic Phil. I’d LOVE to go to it, but unfortunately I”m in the US and I’ve googled to see if I can find if it’s showing here......and of course it is not.....I hope after it’s one night showing, it becomes available again somehow?

Cheers

Phil
Founder
Founder

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 pm

I think it will get a normal theatrical release in Canada and the US before long.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Just an update. I was at the movies yesterday (in the US) and they are now advertising in the Theater’s the upcoming showing of “They Shall Not Grow Old” on the 17 and 27th Dec 2018. This was at Harkin’s Theaters in Arizona....hopefully it’s showing elsewhere? And in Canada

Again, the trailer they show at the movies is terrific.....much more information than on the original trailer

Looking forward to going

EDIT: This site confirms the showing across the US

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/pete ... 203025072/

Phil
Founder
Founder

Post by Phil » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:39 pm

I had heard Warner Bros. Pictures had purchased the global distribution rights, so yeah I would expect it to have a wide release. It's already aired publicly on the BBC, and online for a short period.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Phil wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:39 pm
I had heard Warner Bros. Pictures had purchased the global distribution rights, so yeah I would expect it to have a wide release. It's already aired publicly on the BBC, and online for a short period.
Correct, Warner Bros and Fathom Events are partnering on the showing in the US.

Fathom Events is a joint venture of AMC Entertainment, Cinemark Holdings, and Regal Entertainment Group — the three largest movie theater chains in the U.S.

Where I saw the trailer was a Harkins Theater, which is a Privately owned company (5th Largest in the US).....so they must also be on the distribution with Warner Bros.

I’m looking forward to it