RCAF, 110 Sqdn, Lysanders, Tiger Moth

Discussions related to the equipment, weapons and vehicles employed during the second world war.
georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

RCAF, 110 Sqdn, Lysanders, Tiger Moth

Post by georgetanksherman » Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 am

Greetings everyone, looking into info on two of No. 110 Squadron Lysanders, if possible,

1) Lysander N1316, March 19, 1940. Aircraft crashed on take off near Salsbury, (Looking for info on Pilot/Crew and cause)

2) Lysander R9002, November 19, 1940. Aircraft made a forced landing at Holbrook. Pilot: Flt Lt McDonald. (Was there anyone else with him, or was he solo, and was it a mechanical issue , fuel, or ????)

3) Tiger Moth #279, November 18, 1939, Pilot: George Peters Johnstone, C/824, RCAF, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Aircraft were involved in a 3-ship aerobatic maneuver over Rockcliffe Military Airport. Two of the aircraft collided while at 1,000 feet while in a loop. F/O Johnstone was not able to abandon his aircraft and was killed when the aircraft impacted the ground. F/O Morrison was able to abandon his aircraft and safely landed on the ground. Does anyone know the serial number of the other Tiger Moth ???

Appreciate any help with this one, can not find a lot on these two !

Cheers

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: RCAF, 110 Sqdn, Lysanders, Tiger Moth

Post by Temujin » Fri May 24, 2019 1:14 pm

George, many of these people can be found in the Operational Record Books that are “on line” at Heritage Canadiana (for FREE). All you need to use their site successfully is a chart that tells you “what” Squadron or RCAF Unit is on “which” digitized record........and that I have, and will send it to you by e-mail

The records at Heritage Canadiana are a “challenge” to use, as they have no “search engine” to help you find a name or date. You have to manually go thru the records to find what you are looking for. BUT in most cases, you have the date....and the Squadron...and name.....so with practice, you can find the records quite quickly.....as they USUALLY (NOT ALWAYS) are in order by DATE.......but sometimes a reel is backwards (Oldest date first, newest date last)........and sometimes the files are “all mixed up”.....meaning you will be working on 1943......all of a sudden it changes to 1945 and then all of a sudden it changes back to 1943. This is because the files were digitized “as they came out of the box” so if they were mixed up (and many many are, as researchers in the “old days of manual searches” would miss file the information when putting it back......Heritage Canadiana is NOT sorting it......copied as it comes out of the box.

So sometimes you can find a record in 10 minutes.......sometimes in 10 Days

AND, many times I’m going thru records, say for 410 Squadron......and all of a sudden their is 15 pages or so of records from 404 Squadron (that you may have been looking for a long time ago.......and low and behold it is their)

Anyway, I thought I’d give you this information so you can do some research directly from the same files that I look at.

Hertiage Canadiana link is:

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/

All you have to do is type in the “file number” that your looking for

I’ll send you a list of all the file numbers that I have to date (it’s a spreadsheet) by e-mail

AND, second part. All the WW2 Canadian service files, for those who died during the WW2 (not just killed in action......all deaths during the war) are available on Ancestry.com (or Ancestry.ca)

Unfortunately, it does COST YOU MONEY......you have to buy a membership and keep it up to access all these records (except they do have a 14 day free trial).......I just to have a membership (for my own family research) but also to help my searches for this site and for clients that contact me for military research help.

So, you can always contact me on this site if your not finding anything thru Heritage Canadiana and other sites such as CVWM.......I’m always here to help

AND, third part. For ANY RAF Squadrons, that a Canadian may have flown with (and as you know, Canadians, Australian’s, New Zealanders, South Africa etc etc) all were intermingled in each of their Air Forces during the war...........but the Operational Record Books for those squadrons are available at the British National Archives.........Again, issue is COST, they cost you money for the files. You have to KNOW the date (month) your searching for......as they sell the files by MONTH. Cost is not bad, about $9.00 Cdn per file (which is a months records) .......whenever you see me post a record from a RAF Squadron on this site......yes, I paid for it (and I save them in my files “in case” I get another inquiry and it happens to be the same month that I already bought......yes, it’s happened once). Another issue, it the files are like RCAF files, one list is the aircraft assigned to a mission, names, bomb load or missions, up and down times etc.....the second file for the SAME period is a short narrative each day on “what happened on the missions of that day....so will give you crew names on bomber, bomb load, target, and info on downed aircraft (if it is know) etc. BNA charges you for BOTH of these separate files for a month......so April 1943 to get BOTH records for a squadron cost approx $18.00 CDN (which is about 50 Cents US......cheaper for you)

AND, fourth part. Australian records (personal) are ALL on line at the Australian archives for free. So if you have a Canadian or American or Brit killed on a aircraft that had an Australian as part of the crew......you can look up their files on line for free and it may give you information on the rest of the crew, but WILL give you info on the mission, aircraft etc etc

AND, firth part, their are records prepared by an Australian, that lists all the Australian’s that were killed or Missing. It’s a great document again to see other crew members..........I have this document, and will send it do you by e-mail

So......all of the above may help you in your research........

AND last, theirs us here.......when you can’t find something, as always post if up here, and we’ll do what we can to help

Cheers George, and happy researching

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Fri May 24, 2019 1:16 pm

RAAF Records and RCAF (Heritage Canadiana record) spreadsheet sent to you by e-mail George

Cheers

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

Post by georgetanksherman » Sat May 25, 2019 8:12 pm

3) Tiger Moth #279, November 18, 1939, Pilot: George Peters Johnstone, C/824, RCAF, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Aircraft were involved in a 3-ship aerobatic maneuver over Rockcliffe Military Airport. Two of the aircraft collided while at 1,000 feet while in a loop. F/O Johnstone was not able to abandon his aircraft and was killed when the aircraft impacted the ground. F/O Morrison was able to abandon his aircraft and safely landed on the ground. Does anyone know the serial number of the other Tiger Moth ???
Pilot F/O J.D. Morrison – Parachuted to Safety, Tiger Moth, # 252

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun May 26, 2019 12:51 pm

georgetanksherman wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 am

2) Lysander R9002, November 19, 1940. Aircraft made a forced landing at Holbrook. Pilot: Flt Lt McDonald. (Was there anyone else with him, or was he solo, and was it a mechanical issue , fuel, or ????)
Sorry, can’t find any information on this man (as he wasn’t killed, his records are not available on line).

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun May 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Temujin wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:51 pm
georgetanksherman wrote:

Sorry, can’t find any information on this man (as he wasn’t killed, his records are not available on line).

Still no confirmation. The 110 Squadron records only indicate an incident the day before (18 Nov 1940) and pilot was P/O Woods
25E7F8BB-FF17-4419-A7D7-25423757E624.jpeg
25E7F8BB-FF17-4419-A7D7-25423757E624.jpeg (182.76 KiB) Viewed 16035 times

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Mon May 27, 2019 2:11 am

georgetanksherman wrote:

1) Lysander N1316, March 19, 1940. Aircraft crashed on take off near Salsbury, (Looking for info on Pilot/Crew and cause)
27484FB5-CFE8-4837-AB1D-8D1C5E60CBA4.jpeg
27484FB5-CFE8-4837-AB1D-8D1C5E60CBA4.jpeg (183.51 KiB) Viewed 16033 times
7381EEB5-9B0C-4241-AF12-0C15BAF67D69.jpeg
7381EEB5-9B0C-4241-AF12-0C15BAF67D69.jpeg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 16033 times