Reginald Sparkes and Charles Tucker

Tells us about the military service of your relatives.
Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Reginald Sparkes and Charles Tucker

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 am

I recently had the honour of taking possession of both my Grandfather's and Great Grandfather's WW2 medals, along with some of my Grandfather's Scouting items and a Women's Land Army pin whose recipient I'm not entirely sure of since their wives resided in Canada during WW2.
Attachments
IMG_8236_0.jpg
IMG_8236_0.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 27101 times
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: Reginald Sparkes and Charles Tucker

Post by Temujin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Nice collection Phil. I know these are in “original condition” but if you wanted to have the medals “refurbished” with new ribbons etc, I know a few firms that do this. They would also “court mount” them if you wish??

But, its also nice to keep them in original condition.

I notice quite a few Armoured Corps badges and other interesting badges etc.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Another option is to have them mounted for display. The photo below is my wife’s father’s medals. Mounted in our hallway.

The photo on the left is when he joined the Army in 1939 (he was only 16, yes lied about his age).......the middle photo is from a post card he sent from Italy (he was a Sgt) and his medals below (court mounted) and his hat badge (Perth Regiment) and the the photo on the right is him laying a wreath at the local cenotaph on Remembrance Day on behalf of the local Legion.

So, you can do nice groupings, then their “under glass” and protected.

Cheers
These users commended the author Temujin for the post:
Phil (Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 am)

Phil
Founder
Founder

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Yeah I was going to have them mounted and put in frames of some sort. I'm a bit torn as I do enjoy their aged condition, but I think cleaning and mounting is the right thing to do to honour them. It would be nice in a shadow box where it can be a frame, but also opened so that one may touch the medals.

Reginald Sparkes was an instructor in the R.C.A.C. in WW2, took some courses in England and instructed on the homefront. Other badges include some from the R.C.A.M.C. of which Charles was part of, and some scouting items from his pre-war days.

Also Charles' sewing kit in the bottom right, Reginald's Pay Books and a keepsake bracelet that each of them were given before shipping out.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Phil wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm
Yeah I was going to have them mounted and put in frames of some sort. I'm a bit torn as I do enjoy their aged condition, but I think cleaning and mounting is the right thing to do to honour them. It would be nice in a shadow box where it can be a frame, but also opened so that one may touch the medals.

Reginald Sparkes was an instructor in the R.C.A.C. in WW2, took some courses in England and instructed on the homefront. Other badges include some from the R.C.A.M.C. of which Charles was part of, and some scouting items from his pre-war days.

Also Charles' sewing kit in the bottom right, Reginald's Pay Books and a keepsake bracelet that each of them were given before shipping out.

Opps, sorry Phil, I forgot to post the photo.......I’ve put it on my post now

Yes, I thought that was a “housewife” (that’s what that was called by soldiers at that time)

Phil
Founder
Founder

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

Temujin wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 pm
Opps, sorry Phil, I forgot to post the photo.......I’ve put it on my post now

Yes, I thought that was a “housewife” (that’s what that was called by soldiers at that time)
You're referring to the sewing kit? Interesting. The framing and court mount looks like a fantastic tribute.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca