No. 21 Canadian General Hospital

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Re: No. 21 Canadian General Hospital

Post by Phil » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:45 am

BFBSM wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:33 am
So definitely Bramshott as the site of the unit being replaced. However, p. 227 of the Official History of the Canadian Medical Services 1939-1945 would suggest that No. 22 C.G.H. took over from No. 2:
Interesting, not sure how to explain that wrinkle.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

billcraig99
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 0

Post by billcraig99 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 am

I was interested to read about Canadian General Hospitals. My father was Sgt. William Augustine Campbell RCAMC. He and his six brothers from Montreal served in WW2 and all returned safely to Montreal after the war.
I have been unable to find anything about Bill's wartime exploits despite having written the Veterans and also the Royal Canadian Legion where Bill was past Commander of Montreal Central Zone No. 2 and past president of the Rowell Sirius Branch. I am on a waiting list to try to get his official service records from the Govt body.
If any of you know how I can get round the red tape and find out about my father I would appreciate any clues on how to go about it.
I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and never knew my father and only recently found out about him. In the UK I would have been able to look at his service records and lots more very easily but Canada seems to be very private.
All I know is that Sgt Campbell was in Edinburgh in 1943, took part in the invasion of Italy, and served in France and returned safely to Montreal where he died in 1965.

Any help would be appreciated
Bill Craig

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:50 pm

billcraig99 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 am
I was interested to read about Canadian General Hospitals. My father was Sgt. William Augustine Campbell RCAMC. He and his six brothers from Montreal served in WW2 and all returned safely to Montreal after the war.
I have been unable to find anything about Bill's wartime exploits despite having written the Veterans and also the Royal Canadian Legion where Bill was past Commander of Montreal Central Zone No. 2 and past president of the Rowell Sirius Branch. I am on a waiting list to try to get his official service records from the Govt body.
If any of you know how I can get round the red tape and find out about my father I would appreciate any clues on how to go about it.
I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and never knew my father and only recently found out about him. In the UK I would have been able to look at his service records and lots more very easily but Canada seems to be very private.
All I know is that Sgt Campbell was in Edinburgh in 1943, took part in the invasion of Italy, and served in France and returned safely to Montreal where he died in 1965.

Bill Craig
Bill, I’ll see what I can find. BUT, in fact Canada’s Privacy laws on veterans are more open than they are in the UK.

The main rule, is to get the military records of a Soldier from WW2, who survived the war, all you have to do is apply for his records at Library and Archives Canada......and you have to “prove” that he has been deceased for more than 20 years. All they require for proof of death, is either a death certificate, or an Obit from a newspaper, or even a photo of his headstone.

BUT, the other issue is the waiting time......LAC has been cut back by the Canadian Goverment, so it takes longer to get records. I’ve been waiting for over 1 year for my father in laws records.

Another way is to apply for the information thru Canada’s Freedom of Information ACT. Just google that, and their are government websites that tell you how to apply for information.

It all takes time though. And his military records will not tell “much” about “what he did”......it will only give you his Units and where he went and dates. BUT, with this information you can then search more for Unit Histories etc to get a general idea of “where he went” with that Unit.

IN THE MEAN TIME, we can try to help, do you have any other information on him, birth place, birth dates, date of death, where he went to school, anything can help........I’ll see what I can find now for you

Cheers

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 pm

billcraig99 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 am

Bill Craig
William Augustin Campbell
1906–1965
BIRTH 21 SEPTEMBER 1906 • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
DEATH 16 JUNE 1965
99DB299F-DD91-4037-8493-1815EE2327EE.jpeg
99DB299F-DD91-4037-8493-1815EE2327EE.jpeg (35.44 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
These users commended the author Temujin for the post:
Phil (Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm)