Relative Research - Maurice Trottier

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Sapperschild
Patron
Patron
Commendations: 2

Relative Research - Maurice Trottier

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm a little reluctant to submit a request for information for this relative, mainly because we have no information on him, including service number or unit that he served with. We also do not have a copy of his obituary or death certificate which might assist in a search for service records with LAC. The only information we have is that he was born and lived most of his formative years in Chelmsford, Ontario which is where he would have been living at the time of his service with the army. He later moved to Montreal, Quebec which is where he passed away. Date of death unknown. Any information you may be able to unearth about his wartime service would be appreciated. We're not sure if he saw active service or not. We realize that this is a BIG ask, with very little information to go on. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: Relative Research - Maurice Trottier

Post by Temujin » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:35 pm

Sapperschild wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:55 pm
I'm a little reluctant to submit a request for information for this relative, mainly because we have no information on him, including service number or unit that he served with. We also do not have a copy of his obituary or death certificate which might assist in a search for service records with LAC. The only information we have is that he was born and lived most of his formative years in Chelmsford, Ontario which is where he would have been living at the time of his service with the army. He later moved to Montreal, Quebec which is where he passed away. Date of death unknown. Any information you may be able to unearth about his wartime service would be appreciated. We're not sure if he saw active service or not. We realize that this is a BIG ask, with very little information to go on. Thanks in advance for your consideration.
As you know we’re always here to help, and up for a challenge…..but you are making this a tough one. So to review, what we have is:

Maurice Trottier, born and lived in Chelmsford, Ontario, and move to Montreal, PQ where he passed away……

Do we know “why” you think he served???

But, I’m on it, see if I can find anything

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Quick Questions…….was he married?, if YES, maybe a wife’s name………do you know what he did for work??………any clue on his military service (trade, or anything)

Sapperschild
Patron
Patron

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:44 pm

Correct. Very little. The only information I have as to the fact that he was 'in the army' was recollections of some family members, with pictures that I'm trying to track down, of him in uniform. I have no information of active service, or of which regiment he would have been with. Probably the smallest rabbit in the biggest of hats. Will totally understand if you come up empty, but thanks for trying. :(

Sapperschild
Patron
Patron

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pm

Will see what info I can obtain from family and get back. Thanks.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:01 pm

OK, I “think” this may be him………can you confirm any of this??? hopefully

Maurice Leonidas Trottier. …………Not positive the middle name is correct
1925–2012
BIRTH 1925 • Chelmsford, ON, Canada
DEATH 25 APR 2012 • Lavaltrie, QC, Canada
9A1913D6-EEB7-4C84-9615-008B1258629E.jpeg
9A1913D6-EEB7-4C84-9615-008B1258629E.jpeg (397.99 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
E0268CD3-ADCD-425C-B372-B7850240C9E3.jpeg
E0268CD3-ADCD-425C-B372-B7850240C9E3.jpeg (320.06 KiB) Viewed 2752 times

And I “think” this may be him, returning from England to Halifax in 1953…….this is a large group of soldiers I believe
824A3BAB-552A-4413-81BC-B7DEF00533F2.jpeg
824A3BAB-552A-4413-81BC-B7DEF00533F2.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2752 times

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:42 pm

I’m hoping this is him. With the above information you have enough to to check with LAC whether he served and get an “abbreviated” copy of his records. Unfortunately his full records will not be available until 2032 (20 years after the person passed away)…..but if you can get at least when he served and with which Regiment of Unit, we (meaning me) can then search to see if we can find anything else.

I’m looking forward to finding out if we indeed found him

Sapperschild
Patron
Patron

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:53 pm

YES! This is him - at least the first two pictures. The record for the for the Cunard Steamship Line for 'Maurice Trotter' (note letter i is missing) shows an age of 29 I believe, so this is probably not him because in 1943 he would have been 18 or so. I recall seeing throughout the years, a picture of him in uniform, but have gone through all of my digital copies and cannot locate. I have put out a request to family who may be able to track down a copy and send to me. It might provide some indication of the unit he was with.

I was unaware of being able to obtain an 'abbreviated' copy of his records, so with the information you have provided, will pursue that and get back to you.

Thank you so much. Maurice was estranged from much of the family for many years, and so even having a copy of the obituary with the information it provides means a lot. As always, your efforts are very much appreciated.

I will get back to you if and when I can obtain picture(s) or more information.

Cheers!!

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:02 pm

Sapperschild wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:53 pm
YES! This is him - at least the first two pictures. The record for the for the Cunard Steamship Line for 'Maurice Trotter' (note letter i is missing) shows an age of 29 I believe, so this is probably not him because in 1943 he would have been 18 or so. I recall seeing throughout the years, a picture of him in uniform, but have gone through all of my digital copies and cannot locate. I have put out a request to family who may be able to track down a copy and send to me. It might provide some indication of the unit he was with.

I was unaware of being able to obtain an 'abbreviated' copy of his records, so with the information you have provided, will pursue that and get back to you.

Thank you so much. Maurice was estranged from much of the family for many years, and so even having a copy of the obituary with the information it provides means a lot. As always, your efforts are very much appreciated.

I will get back to you if and when I can obtain picture(s) or more information.

Cheers!!
Excellent…….that passenger list is from 1953, note they wrote 53 over the “43”……so that is the approx right age in my opinion. AND the passenger list is FROM the UK to Halifax

Good luck on the rest of your search, and you know where to find me if you need more help

Cheers

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:17 pm

Did a search for the SS Scythia, found this…….which tells me he “may” have served after the war in the 27th Infantry Brigade in Germany
C8A63C8F-CDAF-4855-B30A-B2EF203E64A6.jpeg
C8A63C8F-CDAF-4855-B30A-B2EF203E64A6.jpeg (341.3 KiB) Viewed 2741 times